Webs of Woven Words, Threads, Stitches and Enchantments

Monday, September 21, 2009

Autumn Blessings!


...that country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, and midnights stay. That country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal-bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people, passing at night on the empty walks, sound like rain... -Ray Bradbury

'Best I love September's yellow,
Morns of dew-strung gossamer,
Thoughtful days without a stir,
Rooky clamours, brazen leaves.
Stubble dotted o'er with sheaves ~
Morre than Spring's bright uncontrol
Suit the Autumn of my soul.'

~ Alex. Smith

"When the goldenrod is yellow
And leaves are turning brown -
Reluctantly the summer goes
In a cloud of thistledown.

When squirrels are harvesting
And birds in flight appear -
By these autumn signs we know
September days are here."

Beverly Ashour, September

The Autumn Equinox, which arrives Tuesday, September 22, 2009 at 5: 19 PM EST, is a time when day and night are equal, a time of balance. I pay respects to the approaching darkness and the waning light as I consider my personal harvests; this is a time of turning inward and personal reflection. I gather thoughts about what I have accomplished and what plans and needs I have for the coming year. The wheel turns and the nights grow longer. I remember the Goddess as she passes from Mother to Crone, Persephone, as She hears the calls of the dead. I give honor to my deities and the spirits of the Land around me. The Autumn Equinox or Mabon is another step on the path of the Mysteries.

This is the Witches' Thanksgiving, so I celebrate, remember, feast and make offerings. I have much to be thankful for.

May your harvests be rewarding, fulfilling and abundant. Blessings nine!



No comments:

Post a Comment