Webs of Woven Words, Threads, Stitches and Enchantments

Thursday, October 1, 2009

October Blessings



"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it,
and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth
seeking the successive autumns."
- George Elliot -
"The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on."
- Emily Dickinson, Nature 27 - Autumn -
Happy October! I love Autumn most of all and wouldn't mind a bit if I lived in a perpetual Autumn. I have strong memories of Octobers in New York - the scent of the apple orchard, burning leaves, the earthy scent of the season's decay. There was a flurry of apple pie making in my childhood home, filling the freezer with pies ready to be baked. Bushels of apples sat in the basement and that scent lingers in my memory too. I can remember sitting in the backyard under one of our big willows, the air chilly and crisp, thinking how much I loved that season.
Well, I am in a place now that has perpetual summer and while I certainly appreciate the lovely weather, I miss and long for autumn. I have to create it inside of Toadstool Condo and I do that with great gusto! This includes making apple butter, baking apple pies, decorating for the season and anything else that will satisfy that longing.
Usually I trek to North Carolina for a week or so in October each year, however, this year I will have to remain home due to school commitments. I am a little sad, but will somehow make it up to myself and enjoy my October here at home.
And now... a cup of tea!
Blessings nine!

No comments:

Post a Comment