Webs of Woven Words, Threads, Stitches and Enchantments

Monday, October 3, 2016

Hallows Everyday - 3

The Underworld, Where all things pause
and begin again.
The Halloween Oracle by Stacey DeMarco

It is interesting, this card flew out of the deck while I was shuffling them, requesting a message for the blog. Before I even thought about the cards, Persephone, Demeter, and the Eleusinian Mysteries  were in my mind. I was contemplating and looking through some information about the Mysteries. I had to smile as the card flew out of my hands. I just knew. I also knew the message would not be for everyone.

At this time of year I have a tendency to withdraw and go deeper into myself. That seems to be the case even more so this year. I had some health issues earlier, in the spring, and it was a tough ride, but here I am and all should be well. Yet some doubt lingers, which is normal I am told. I also turned 60 over the summer and unlike any birthday before, this one has me considering my mortality, how much time I have left. I am also very much contemplating the Underworld, the Underworld goddesses, the darkness within myself. Yet that seems appropriate for the season, so why the distress?

Then, here is the card of my ultimate darkness. I journeyed into that place, and spilled back into life like the seeds and juices of the pomegranate, rich, red - hopefully more powerful. I am ready to give birth to a new part of my life. The question is, am I up to it?

Another realm, shadow filled
Travel from death's bed
Where we stop and transform
Within the realm of the dead.

With this, the Underworld card, we are asked what needs transformation, what change is necessary? And there is certainly change needed, of that there is no doubt. The world is a wild place right now. What do we need to do to make our lives more true to who we really are? What will settle the anxiety? All that we experience prepares us for this time of contemplation, so we need to settle in and find the new path through the forest of our lives. Will it be easy? Likely not, familiar things will fall away, and while change is exciting for some, for those who are sensitive, who have had a rough ride this year, it will be difficult, perhaps even frightening. All journeys to the Underworld in this manner bring anxiety, but the end result will be fine. We will move on, one way or another, to where the real women we are come forth.

We need to remember that while many cultures have a negative view of the afterlife, the Underworld is a place of rest and peace, a place of renewal. That is how I have always seen it when I have descended in the many journeys I have taken there over the years. We need to accept and follow Hekate's torches, let Persephone take us into that deep place. Between these two goddesses, healing, revitalization, and wisdom is being offered to us in those pomegranate seeds. Will we eat the seed of the deep red fruit?

Obtain a pomegranate, open it outside, on a plate. Let the juices flow onto and into the earth. Offer some of the seeds, but keep most. Each evening, or once a week, light a candle and a favorite incense; take yourself into trance, then listen and look. What do you hear and see? Journal this experience. Then eat some of the seeds. Know that each time you perform this ritual, wisdom awaits, your darkest and wisest self will come forth to teach, to assist, to be renewed. Hekate and Persephone will be there.

Blessings dark and deep.

2 comments: