Webs of Woven Words, Threads, Stitches and Enchantments

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Home Again, Hot Peppers, Bugs, Eel and Such





I have returned from my mother's and am settling back into life at the Toadstool. The Schmoodle was beside himself to see me when I arrived and has not left my side - to be honest, I was just as delighted to see him - oh how I missed my little furball! My favorite man was off with his bonsai group and their show at Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Miami, but returned home by midnight and appropriately greeted me etc., etc. after a three week separation!


I immediately unpacked upon returning with the exception of books and needlework. I am exhausted. I don't know about anyone else (well, actually I do, but never mind) I just never sleep well away from home. I was SO sad to leave my mother - we had a great time, but at the same time just wanted my own little Toadstool Condo and all its lovely things that make my life so pleasant. Oh well, I will go back up in November - Enchanted Earth is hosting a concert featuring Kellianna - I'll kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

The last two evenings at my mother's were spent playing bingo - which... I LOVE!!! Who knew??? I'm really surprised, but I'm going to have to find a local group, I do love it! Oh, did I mention that between the two of us we won $75.00 over the two nights? A great team. 

And now a little something I found whilst reading Jane Austen blogs!  You may (or not) find it interesting, peculiar or a combination of both - which I did and therefore decided to display those things I have eaten from this list - which includes those I will NEVER eat! This isn't really a Janeite thing, but I did get the link from a Jane blog so hence the bit of Jane-speak!


From Andrew Wheeler:
Here’s a chance for a little interactivity for all the bloggers out there. Below is a list of 100 things that I think every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life. The list includes fine food, strange food, everyday food and even some pretty bad food - but a good omnivore should really try it all. Don’t worry if you haven’t, mind you; neither have I, though I’ll be sure to work on it. Don’t worry if you don’t recognise everything in the hundred, either; Wikipedia has the answers. (Note by W of S: some things just didn't sound as if I needed to know what they are!) 



Here’s what I want you to do:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.

2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.

3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.


1. Venison

2. Nettle tea (regularly)
3. Huevos rancheros

4. Steak tartare

5. Crocodile

6. Black pudding

7. Cheese fondue

8. Carp

9. Borscht

10. Baba ghanoush (ah, love it!)

11. Calamari (fried, I love this too!)

12. Pho

13. PB&J sandwich (nothing like it!)

14. Aloo gobi

15. Hot dog from a street cart (another nothing like it!)

16. Epoisses

17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes

19. Steamed pork buns

20. Pistachio ice cream
 (oh, oh, delish!)
21. Heirloom tomatoes (have I mentioned that I am addicted to tomatoes?)
 
22. Fresh wild berries

23. Foie gras
 (AHHHHH)
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese

26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper

27. Dulce de leche

28. Oysters

29. Baklava

30. Bagna cauda

31. Wasabi peas (tried them and won't eat them again! Why would anyone?)

32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl

33. Salted lassi

34. Sauerkraut

35. Root beer float

36. Cognac with a fat cigar

37. Clotted cream tea (another AHHHHHH)

38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O

39. Gumbo

40. Oxtail

41. Curried goat

42. Whole insects (ok, one flew in my mouth and down my throat, no choice but to swallow!)

43. Phaal

44. Goat’s milk

45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu

47. Chicken tikka masala

48. Eel

49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut

50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear

52. Umeboshi

53. Abalone

54. Paneer

55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal

56. Spaetzle

57. Dirty gin martini

58. Beer above 8% ABV

59. Poutine

60. Carob chips

61. S’mores

62. Sweetbreads

63. Kaolin

64. Currywurst

65. Durian

66. Frogs’ legs

67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake

68. Haggis

69. Fried plantain

70. Chitterlings, or andouillette

71. Gazpacho

72. Caviar and blini
 (another AHHHHHHH!)
73. Louche absinthe

74. Gjetost, or brunost
 (no clue, but it doesn't sound whilesome!)
75. Roadkill

76. Baijiu (???)

77. Hostess Fruit Pie

78. Snail
 (haven't yet, won't say never, but unlikely - the slime!!!)
79. Lapsang souchong (most delightful blended with a nice Assam, 1 part LS, 3 parts A)

80. Bellini

81. Tom yum

82. Eggs Benedict
 (yummy!)
83. Pocky
 (what? I don't think I can eat something named Pocky!!)
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.

85. Kobe beef

86. Hare

87. Goulash

88. Flowers

89. Horse

90. Criollo chocolate

91. Spam

92. Soft shell crab

93. Rose harissa (I have to find out what this is - anything rose is delightful!)

94. Catfish

95. Mole poblano (isn't poblano something to do with hot peppers?)

96. Bagel and lox

97. Lobster Thermidor

98. Polenta

99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee

100. Snake 


61 out of 100 - I think, it's almost 3:30 AM, I'm bleary eyed. Now that I've finished that,  I can sleep!


Blessings nine!

No comments:

Post a Comment