Webs of Woven Words, Threads, Stitches and Enchantments

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Settling Into Winter


 We will be celebrating the Winter Solstice in a few days, also known as Midwinter. For me, it always feels as if this is just the beginning of winter. Yes, the solstice is the longest night and the days begins to  increase in length, but long nights are still with us and Mama Earth is still holding all in rest.

Many people I speak to wish the days were longer, and seasonal depression is a real issue for many. I use to suffer from it myself. Now however, I relish this time of year, I settle into this time, especially once the holidays are over. Winter comes to me as a time of rest, restoration, and renewal.

I read the term “wintering” a few days ago and thought, ah yes, that is the perfect term for me when I think of how to describe what I feel. I have begun my wintering! 

This is my hibernation time. A time of allowing seeds of thoughts, feelings, healing to come into being. Those seeds incubate and deepen so they can be developed or discarded. My personal spiritual practices deepen and I allow myself to journey and meditate, and connect with the goddesses and spirits as much as I need to. 

Creative work, journaling, cogitating, and oracle work, these are what I do more freely and with greater appreciation for the processes. I just let myself restore and renew. By doing this, settling into and appreciating my wintering, I find great peace. Perhaps part of it is aging and understanding. I don’t know. I also realize this isn’t so for everyone, but for me I have found it to be so healing. 

I wish you a wintering of healing and peace.

Blessings dark and deep!


No comments:

Post a Comment