Webs of Woven Words, Threads, Stitches and Enchantments

Friday, October 11, 2013

Hallows Everyday 11


For we are all poor people,
well known to you before,
So give us a cake for charity's sake,
And our blessing we leave at the door!

Soul cakes are traditional at this time of year. Pagans and Polytheists make them to eat at this blessed sabbath, as well as giving them as offerings, to the Blessed Dead, the Goddesses and Gods, and other Spirits. Traditionally made with oats and molasses, you can make and offer whatever feels right for your tradition.

I make cornbread, a sweet version that I first found in the early days of my marriage in the Fanny Farmer Baking Cookbook. The page is easy to find because it is so warped from drips and being opened so much! It is one of my hubby's favorite things. Honey is used in it and I've made a few adjustments to the recipe over the years. For me, cornbread is an important autumn offering, but especially at this time of year. I usually serve and make the offerings along with a slathering of apple butter, also homemade. 

What offerings do you make at Hallows/Samhain?

Blessings nine!

No comments:

Post a Comment