Webs of Woven Words, Threads, Stitches and Enchantments

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Hallows Everyday - 16


Well, we all know this is pumpkin time, especially since there is pumpkin everything available. I love pumpkin so I eat a good amount of it, along with a plentiful variety of squashes. I have a very basic, nothing fancy way to prepare it - spit it in half, scrape out the seeds, and bake cut side down in a little water until nice and soft. Sometimes I'll flip it over, brush with a little butter and roast until it gets a nice and browned. I then mash it up, add plenty of butter, ground cinnamon and cloves, a good splash of maple syrup or brown sugar, and maybe a splash of sherry or rum, just a little for flavor. Yum! 

I also like to add some pumpkin to my coffee or spiced tea. I take about 2 cups of good strong coffee or black tea, add about a cup of mashed pumpkin, canned is just fine; I whip the pumpkin into the coffee, and add some spices to taste. I like a teaspoon of cinnamon, a shake of ground cloves, and a good grating of nutmeg. I warm about 1 ½ cups of whole milk and half and half mixed with some heavy cream, if I have it; if not I use 1 1/2 cups of half and half blended with whole milk - about half of each. You can add a spoonful or two of maple syrup, brown sugar, or other sweetener, but I don't. Warm it until just right, then add your coffee/pumpkin/spice mix and warm a little more, but don't boil. Whip it so it blends nicely. And there you are, a lovely season beverage!

Devotional activity: Get yourself a supply of those little fresh pumpkins that are available; you can even get them by the bagful. Decorate the outside with some colored Sharpie pens or carve if you like. Make a blessing over the pumpkin and let it sit on your altar for a day or so, then take it to some special place: hedge, base of tree, lake, and leave it as an offering after saying the appropriate offering blessing. Do this every week through Hallowstide, or more if you can. Cemeteries are also a good place to leave this offering. 

Blessings dark and deep!


No comments:

Post a Comment