Webs of Woven Words, Threads, Stitches and Enchantments

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

30 Days of Devotion - 16

Day 16 - How Does Hekate Represent Her Pantheon? My Practice?

At first I thought this was going to be a difficult subject, but I have changed the challenge question a bit to how Hekate represents my practice and that of modern devotees. I explain why below.

Despite the myths of Hekate's inclusion in the ancient Greek pantheon, I don't think She really represents it at all. She has to be included there because, once again, as with many goddesses, She was absorbed into that pantheon from elsewhere, in my opinion; we don't really know Her origins. If you explore Hekate's worshipers, priestesses, priests, and devotees today, you will find that the majority don't practice within the Greek/Hellenismos pantheon. Of course, this is just my opinion based upon my experiences. End of that discussion.

So... how does Hekate represent my practice? For me, She is a guide and guardian,  teacher and taskmaster. She takes me and those of us who are devoted to Her, where we are afraid to go many times, at others, we willingly, eagerly follow. Hers are the Mysteries that we long to know. As She guides me, I follow Her and, at the same time, guide those who ask for assistance in knowing Her, Her Mysteries again, as I know them, and the ways of the witch.

I have read that Hekate was worshipped by Thracian witches. In myths and stories, She is included where there is magic and mysticism. Over all the years those stories have added to who She is, what She is. She has absorbed all of that and made it Her own. So for me, Hekate represents all that has become what I am.

Blessings Nine!


No comments:

Post a Comment